Introduction to StepJockey
StepJockey is a new and affordable way for employers of all types to promote health and fitness in the workplace.
By using StepJockey smart signs to label and gamify office stairs for calorie burn, you will quickly and seamlessly
encourage greater fitness and wellbeing among all those who use your buildings.
You will also be sending a clear signal to staff, clients and other stakeholders that you value a healthy working
environment and take corporate citizenship seriously.
A Harvard Alumni Study found that men who average at least eight flights a day enjoy a 33% lower mortality rate than
men who are sedentary — and that’s even better than the 22% lower death rate men earned by walking 1.3 miles a day.
For office-based businesses, StepJockey can be transformative. In most cases, it will also pay for itself via time, energy and carbon savings with a year.
Use StepJockey for free
Be the spark for a stair climbing revolution in your building. Get your stairs included in the
StepJockey community. Rating stairs for calorie burn is easy and only takes a few moments.
Once done, you can download free paper Smart Signs and our free mobile app.
Rate Your Stairs Here
Boost stair use and wellness across your business with our beautiful Smart Signs.
Be seen to be leading from the front on health. Our Smart Signs are designed to motivate and will prompt an uplift in stair use of 20% or more. Features include:
• A full read-out of the data for your stairs
• Wireless QR & NFC technology for easy calorie tracking
• Tested motivational health messages
• Compatible with our apps, vouchers and Challenges
• A choice of funky colours and shapes
• Easy to install - no wires, no drilling
• Integrated into your Wellness Programme and installation
StepJockey Challenges enable you to reward and 'gamify' stair use, making stair climbing a habit for everyone:
• Choose from a range of proven Challenges
• Run across multiple buildings and locations
• Create teams, set goals and offer prizes
• Real-time league tables and messaging
• Rich data feedback for better wellness & CSR reporting
• Easy to launch and run
Ready to climb Everest? Want to tour the world's tallest towers? Boost your company's health with our fun, inclusive and easy-to-organise stair climbing Challenges.
Challenges are constantly evolving. View our current challenges here
Below are some case exciting studies that you might be interested to read:
Belfield Office Park
University College Dublin
Belfield Dublin 4
Phone: +353 1 716 3763
StepJockey uses the principles of behavioral economics to integrate exercise into the built environment.
Our mission is to label the world for 'calorie burn' in order to promote better health and wellbeing.
By physically labelling your offices for health we engage all your staff, not just a few of them.
The logic is simple. Nutrition labels on foods tell us how many calories we are consuming and have been successful
in reducing calorie intake among many millions of consumers worldwide. StepJockey is about the other side of the equation.
By accurately labelling stairs, walkways and other parts of the physical environment for 'calorie burn' it gently prompts us to build more exercise into our daily lives.
"We alert people to the calories they are eating but we don’t flag up how to burn them off," says StepJockey founder, Helen Nuki.
"We see the world as a gym and through StepJockey we are labelling it as such".
How It Works - Signs & Challenges
StepJockey is part of the 'active design' movement and works to improve workplace health at two levels:
1. By installing StepJockey smart signs in your building, you will see an immediate uplift
in stair use versus lift or escalator use of up to 29%. This is because the signs themselves act as a motivating
visual prompt and naturally 'nudge' people to take the healthy option. Importantly, this simple environmental
change affects all; it requires no special or expensive gadgets and impacts everyone.
2. StepJockey smart signs can be read with our free iPhone and Android smartphone apps. People can set targets
for themselves, track their performance and earn points. Better still, you can gamify stair use in your
organisation by launching fun and engaging stair climbing challenges for everyone. Challenges can be run
within or between offices worldwide. As well as offering great team dynamics and engagement, they are easy
to set up and provide excellent data feedback for wellness and CSR reporting.
In trials, StepJockey stair climbing challenges increased office stair use by between 500% and 800%.
StepJockey was seed-funded by the UK Department of Health and was fully evaluated before launch.
Large-scale field trials were held in 2012, with more than 250,000 stair/lift journeys recorded. The study protocol
aligned with the Standard Evaluation Framework and met all essential standards of a fair test. The trial found:
• The signs caused significant increases in stair use in all buildings (p < 0.0001), the highest uplift being 29%,
• The groups most influenced were among the hardest to reach with traditional wellness initiatives and included: the overweight
(BMI > 25), infrequent takers of physical activity (< 2 x per week) and older women,
• Stair climbing challenges increased stair use 5 fold over baseline and 8 fold when participants were further incentivised with prizes,
• 92% of new stair climbers said it would become a habit.
You can download the full StepJockey trial results from: www.stepjockey.com/stair-climbing-benefits
You’d be forgiven for wondering but stair climbing can have a very significant impact on an individual’s health over time.
It is officially classed as a vigorous exercise and burns more calories per minute than jogging. Importantly, it is also
a safe and easy activity to build into our working lives and results in health benefits that go far beyond weight loss.
The confirmed benefits of regular stair climbing include:
• Improved cardiovascular fitness
• A stronger musculoskeletal system
• Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, obesity and type 2 diabetes
• Promotion of weight loss and muscle tone
• Promotion of mental wellbeing
In the fight to improve workplace health, health experts see the promotion of simple activities like stair
climbing as vital because they can be integrated into our daily lives and can make a profound difference to employee health over time.
StepJockey smart signs support the latest wireless technologies and are designed to be 'technology agnostic',
meaning they can be combined with in-house systems or new technologies as they come on stream.
Currently StepJockey’s acrylic-glass smart signs come with QR and Near Field Communications (NFC) tags embedded as standard.
These allow rapid 'tap-and-go' calorie tracking with our free iPhone and Android smartphone apps.
All StepJockey signs can be installed without drilling or wiring making them suitable even for listed buildings.
Smarter Buildings Management
StepJockey is not only good for the health of your people.
It also has a direct and positive impact on the efficiency of the buildings it is installed in.
This is because it naturally reduces demand on expensive lift and escalator systems while at the same time improving people’s knowledge of a building.
Benefits to corporate facilities managers and departments include:
• Reduced lift congestion and waiting times
• Increased carbon savings and fuel efficiency
• Improved way-finding
• Improved fire safety
• Simple drill-free and wireless installation
Corporate & Social Responsibility
StepJockey is a highly visual and evidence-based product and, as such, is rightly being used to help
bolster Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes.
By encouraging wellbeing in an evidenced-based and inclusive fashion, it helps meet several of the
health-related corporate citizenship standards increasingly expected of modern employers by clients, regulators and governments.
Specifically, StepJockey is aligned with the following guidance and standards:
• International Guidance on Corporate Social Responsibility (BS ISO 26000:2010)
• WHO Global recommendations on physical activity for health (ISBN: 9789241599979)
• UK Public Health Responsibility Deal (P4 Physical activity in the workplace; P1 Physical Activity, Community)
• NICE public health guidance on physical activity (PH8, PH13, PH 41, PH44)
Health & Safety
Many hundreds of buildings around the world already have signs encouraging stair use installed,
including the buildings occupied by the UK Department of Health.
Signs, which highlight where the stairs are in a building, are generally acknowledged by experts
to improve safety. This is because people are more likely to find the staircases they need quickly in cases of emergency.
The regular use of stairs that StepJockey encourages also makes people fitter and more able to use office stairs.
Fusion HR is a workforce health and wellbeing company which includes specialist services in calorie calculation, behaviour change and public health.
For larger companies, local authorities, schools and universities we provide a bespoke service including:
• A full survey of all stairs and walkways
• Bespoke smart sign design and manufacture, including co-branding
• Stair climbing challenges to 'gamify' physical activity
• Cosmetic stairwell redesign to brighten dark stairwells
• Integration into existing signage systems
• Data feedback and analysis
• Wellness in the workplace programmes and seminars
• Internal communications packages
• Professional installation and project management
"StepJockey is about promoting fitness for everyone. We tell people how many calories are in food but we
don’t tell them where they can burn them off. Through StepJockey, we are offering the opportunity to put that right.
The world is a gym and through StepJockey we aim to positively label it as such."
Professor Alan Batterham
Professor of Exercise Science, Teesside University
"StepJockey helps individuals to build a vigorous physical activity into their daily routine and is an excellent,
time-efficient way to increase fitness and control weight. Stair climbing is also a surprising powerful form of exercise
and has benefits that go beyond weight loss. It reduces the risk of chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease,
diabetes, osteoporosis, and breast and colon cancers."
Occupational Health Consultant
"I want people to understand the relationship between the exercise and calorie expenditure and StepJockey is the perfect tool for that.
It’s easy to implement and my clients love the motivational messages and the information about the calorie burn."
It doesn’t cost anything to learn a little more. Call us on +353 1 716 5442 to arrange a meeting.
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
We’ll be happy to show you how Fusion HR makes more productivity with the same payroll a very achievable goal.